Our smile says a lot about us. It can open doors as quickly as it can shut them. Often, it is the first thing that someone will notice about us and it can even make us more successful in our lives.
But what is this phenomenon? Why does smiling improve our success in life? We checked with the dentists at Ironwood Dental for more insight on the question and they left us with seven reasons on how and why smiles make us more successful.
- Smiling can make you more attractive. Smiling is an easy way to lower the defenses of those around you and it will also brighten up your face. The act of smiling can affect your whole attitude and appearance, naturally making you more attractive to those around you.
- Smiling is contagious. Have you ever noticed that when someone smiles at you that you automatically smile back? This draws an automatic rapport with you and a complete stranger. If you do this during a work interview, your interviewer is more likely to smile back and remember that you made him or her smile.
- Smiling shows your health. Of course, no one can determine your actual health based simply on a smile, but a healthy, white, straight smile can provide the appearance of health, automatically leaving those you meet you with a positive impression of you. Even in modern society, there are still subconscious cues that suggest healthier people are better to be around.
- Smiling will boost your own confidence. When you smile, you not only disarm those around you, but you can disarm yourself. Speaking to someone with a smile will eradicate the feeling of nervousness, giving you an extra boost of confidence.
- Smiling gives a great first impression. Imagine that you are walking into an interview and the person you are meeting with is frowning or even looking angry. You will automatically assume the worst of the person, without knowing for sure what he or she is like. When you smile upon meeting someone, it shows the other person that you are not aggressive or dangerous, but instead approachable and likable.
- Smiling is good for your own mental health. Sometimes we can trick our own minds into believing that we are feeling happy when we force a smile. While it will not eradicate mental illnesses, it can certainly brighten your own outlook on the day and your mood. Having a more positive disposition will make you feel good and let others around you know that you feel good as well.
- Smiling lets others know you want to be there. If you can find your way to smile at work and have your boss and those around you know that you are happy in your position, you are setting yourself on a path of promotion.
If you would like to get a perfect smile that you want to show to others, don’t hesitate to call your dentist to set up a consultation.