One of the most memorable things about each of us is our smile. It leaves people with an impression of us, either good or bad, that will stay with them. But can a smile actually make you more successful?
I confirmed with my local Mississauga dentist that a smile could actually make you more successful. These are seven of the reasons that the dentist gave me.
- Smiling makes you approachable. People are easier to approach and talk to when they are smiling rather than when they are scowling. People who grimace put off people, because people are worried they will be verbally attacked. A smile can brighten an entire conversation or situation by giving off more positivity.
- Smiling is contagious. Think about when someone smiles at you. Are you likely to smile back? Sure, it depends on the situation, but generally speaking, if someone has broken their guard down and flashed you a smile, you are more likely to do the same back at him or her.
- Smiling boosts your confidence. Smiling when you are giving a speech or an interview will not only make a good impression for you, but it will help you get through it too by making you feel like you are more confident. Sometimes simply putting on a show of confidence will convince not only those around you, but you as well.
- Smiling makes you more attractive. Just like I said before, smiling will make you more approachable to others, but it also will make you more attractive. Smiling will brighten you face and can alter your whole demeanour, making you more attractive to yourself and those around you.
- Smiling improves the moods of those around you. When you smile, you introduce a vibe of positivity in the space that you are in. You can alter an entire room by simply showing off some positivity. This will affect how people see you and take in your positive energy.
- Smiling is good for you. Believe it or not, but smiling is good for your health. When you smile, the hormones responsible for stress decrease, improving your overall world outlook. Sometimes, smiling can help lower your blood pressure as well while increasing your endorphins, leaving you with a calmer and more positive attitude to your day.
- Smiling will improve your outlook. If you have ever heard the expression “fake it until you make it,” this is where it comes into play. If you force yourself to smile a little every day, the movement of your mouth sends a signal to your brain that tells it that it is happy. Eventually, your brain will be trained to view things in a positive light rather than a more cynical viewpoint.
If you are wondering how any of these things will make you more successful, I suggest you reread the list again. When you are more approachable, friendly, and generally calm, you are more likely to receive the opportunities that you are going after in life. Whether it is a change of jobs or promotion, coming in with a smile will give your boss a positive impression of you, making you more likely to succeed.
Success can also be defined by how well you feel about yourself and your life. As you smile and improve your attitude towards the world, you can convince your brain slowly that it is successful and content. All in all, you should always smile when you can. You will never know when you will need it in the future.