Cleaning the furniture with fabric upholstery is complicated because there may be stains on it. In this case, it’s important to select the right cleaning agent and detergent, use cleaning methods that are suitable for the specific type of upholstery fabric.
- To remove dust from upholstered furniture, you should use a vacuum cleaner or a brush. Don’t use wet cloths for this purpose, otherwise, they will leave stains.
- A normal vacuum cleaner is only suitable for sturdy and dense upholstery. In other cases, you should put gauze or other cloth soaked in salt solution on the brush. Mix a liter of water with a teaspoon of salt to prepare the solution.
- You can also use a wet sheet to get rid of dust. Cover the sofa or armchairs with a slightly damp sheet and knock out the furniture with a standard beater. Dust and dirt will stay on the sheet. To enhance the effect, the sheet can be soaked in a mild solution of water and vinegar.
- Dry cleaning with washing powder can also be used as a preventive measure. However, powders and other chlorine-based products shouldn’t be used for jacquard upholstery.
- For dry cleaning, sprinkle the powder on a stain and lightly rub the compound into the material. Then leave the powder for a few minutes and remove it with a vacuum cleaner.
- For delicate upholstery, a woolen cloth soaked in water and detergent is used.
- Don’t use aggressive cleaning products, especially if there are wooden or metal armrests.
- Don’t let the fabric upholstery become too wet, otherwise, a large amount of moisture will spoil the material, color, or pattern.
- Wet cleaning will be more effective. To do this, prepare a liter of water, add a cup of ammonia and a few drops of detergent or dishwashing gel. Wet a soft cloth in the prepared solution and clean the upholstery. Then wipe the cloth with a clean, damp and well-squeezed sponge. After the procedure, wipe the material with a dry cloth.
- You should dry the upholstery with a hairdryer with cold or slightly warm air. Don’t use armchairs until the material has dried completely!
- Take the soft chairs out to fresh air from time to time, knock them out and ventilate them. For expensive and delicate materials, use special protective impregnation.
Cleaning the recliners depending on the type of upholstery
Most often, a flock is used for upholstery. Don’t scrape off dirt from this type of material, otherwise, you will damage the fabric. Use soapy water and a soft cloth or special detergents to clean stains from the flock. You shouldn’t wash flock cases with aggressive chemicals and solvents, nor should you whiten or wax them.
Jacquard upholstery is characterized by increased durability and resistance to UV rays and sharp temperature changes. According to recliner faq, this material retains quality and original color for a long time. You shouldn’t scrape off dirt from it either. Use soapy foam, soft cloth or sponge, and dry cloth to clean it. But you shouldn’t use powders and chlorine-containing products for jacquard!
Tapestry is characterized by its density, durability, and practicality. It’s the most durable natural upholstery material, which can be cleaned only by dry method. In rare cases, it’s possible to use wet cleaning with slightly warm water and shampoo. But you should only use soap foam and not the shampoo itself. Otherwise, the color of the upholstery will fade. Besides, the material can shrink.
The rule of no scraping and no aggressive chemicals applies to velour upholstery and microfiber as well. For cleaning, choose soap foam, warm water, a soft cloth, and dry wipes. The velour is cleaned in two steps. First, use a dry brush with medium-strength bristles, then wipe the upholstery with a soft sponge and a solution of water and vinegar.
When dealing with the teddy bear and velvet upholstery, you shouldn’t clean it with a hard brush or vacuum it. Instead, use a soft sponge or cloth soaked in warm water. You can make a vinegar or ammonia solution with water for cleaning as well.
How to get rid of stains on the fabric upholstery
- Improper cleaning of stains will leave dirt on the upholstery. To avoid this, first, clean the stain and then clean this area and the entire upholstery.
- Stains of marker, pen, or ink can be removed with 70% alcohol. To do this, take a soft cloth, soak it in an alcoholic solution, and wipe the dirt off. If necessary, repeat this procedure.
- Ammonia will help you get rid of traces and the smell of urine. If the smell is still there, you can apply a thick layer of soda on the area and leave it overnight. Then remove the soda with a damp cloth.
- Stains of fruit, beverages, and food can be removed with soapy foam or acetic solution.
- Grease stains can be removed with a soft cloth soaked in refined gasoline. To speed up the process, apply a dry, soft, clean towel to the area. It will absorb dirt, moisture, and grease.
- Food salt can remove oil and grease. To clean a soft or computer chair, sprinkle a little salt on the dirty area and wipe it off with a soft sponge soaked in an alcoholic solution.
- Traces of lipstick, foundation, or other makeup can be removed with the 10% alcohol solution.
How to clean leather upholstery
Natural or artificial leather furniture is more difficult to take care of due to the delicacy of the material. Therefore, it’s better to purchase special detergents for leather. Use a minimum of water for cleaning. Frequent washing of leather goods with water will lead to the fading of color, and the furniture will lose its former appearance.
Mix a tablespoon of vodka, water, and vinegar to clean up worn and greasy areas. Refined gasoline or lemon juice will remove oily stains. Traces of ink, food, and beverages can be removed with a mixture of petrol and starch. Take a spoonful of each component and mix it.
You should dust leather chairs regularly with a soft, dry cloth or vacuum it. Don’t use wet wipes or aggressive products on the leather. Try to remove stains immediately and don’t leave rubbish on the chair, otherwise, it will leave dark stripes and scratches.
You can clean a white leather armchair with egg white or a mixture of egg white and milk. By the way, this mixture will not only remove dirt, but also refresh the material, and bring the shine back. To renew leather furniture of any color, natural oils, castor oil, and linseed oil are used.
If there are fingerprints on the leather upholstery, clean it with an alcohol-free makeup remover. The mixture of white vinegar and ammonia will remove scratches and cracks. Apply the solution with a soft cloth or napkin in a smooth circular motion. Leave it for ten minutes and wipe lightly with a damp cloth or sponge.