Making your own e-liquid requires some degree of know-how. You can make your own e-liquid if you know the crucial elements that are necessary to produce a good end product. There are some important ingredients and supplies that you must have to make you e-liquid, and it will come down to your chosen method and your preferences for what kind of e-liquid you want. Do you have these 7 crucial elements readily available?
1. Base Liquid: The two most essential ingredients in e-liquids are vegetable glycerin (VG) and propylene glycol (PG). These base solvents are non-toxic organic compounds that hold the nicotine and flavor in suspension so the e-cigarette or vaporizer can produce smoke-like vapors. PG-based e-liquid is more popular than VG, in part, because it is thinner than the VG variety and is more readily absorbed by the polyfill and cotton fabric in the wick chamber, produces limited gunk that clogs vaporizers and does not affect flavor.
2. Water-soluble Flavor Concentrates: These flavored concentrates will impact the taste of your e-liquid and there are dozens available on the market to choose from. They can be combined to make unique recipes, and you can purchase premixed concentrates that are sold in a single shot comprised of multiple flavors. Your flavor strength is dependent on your personal preference. See Jam Monster for a wide selection of e-liquids if you want to skip the DIY option.
3. Nicotine: Nicotine is not a must, but if you want it in your e-liquid, it’s an important component. You choose the strength of the nicotine-based on your preferred nicotine level. Heavy smokers will find that 12-18mg/mL of nicotine is an adequate concentration to start out with, while regular smokers can stick with 6-12mg/mL. The handling and storage of nicotine should be done with considerable care.
4. Syringes: If you need to mix your e-liquid by volume, you may require a variety of syringes to help you make accurate measurements. You want to have a combination of base-liquid syringes that are between 10-30mL and some 1mL syringes for nicotine and flavor concentrates. In the instance that you have some issues with handling thick VG, a 14 gauge needle could come in handy and make the process easier.
5. E-liquid Bottles: When doing DIY experiments, especially early on, having bottles for test- recipes could be helpful and keep you organized. A selection of 10mL plastic bottles for test recipes and some 60mL bottles for a large batch of e-liquid are good options for containers.
6. Labels: Labels can serve a number of purposes, including displaying safety and product information. Your labels should be durable and product information legible. You want to write the details on before sticking it to the bottle.
7. Gloves: Safety should be priority number one when handling chemicals. While e-liquid may appear easy enough to make, wearing a pair of disposable gloves is invaluable. This is especially useful if working with nicotine. You can create your own DIY e-liquids with the right tools and ingredients. It is simple to make your own unique blend(s) using your preference in flavors. With all the elements in place, begin blending and create your own vaping experience.