List of Potentially Flammable Liquids That Are Lying Around Your Home

Our homes are always associated with safety and comfort, but did you know that some household items pose a threat to you and your safety? Of course, the labeling on some items warns us of the dangers, however, a yellow sticker won’t do much when things go south. 

Proper education about the dangers of these household items could possibly save your life or the life of a loved one. Furthermore, we encourage you to carefully read the instructions on the item about the storing conditions and take measures accordingly so that no undesired accidents transpire.

With the list we have created today, we aim to shed some light on the danger, flammability and combustibility of certain liquids found in our homes and how you can properly store them.


The National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) classifies flammable liquids as liquids that have a flashpoint that doesn’t exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit and combustible as the ones that exceed the 100 degrees Fahrenheit point. Gasoline is considered flammable due to its low flashpoint but higher vapor density.

Proper storage and handling of liquid fuels like gasoline is crucial for your safety. If stored in glass containers, the glass can shatter exposing the gasoline and a tiny spark can set your whole house ablaze. 

It’s worth noting that liquids like gasoline and turpentine should always be stored in room temperature environments and away from heat. Steel safety cans are an excellent choice to stop the danger in its tracks before it even starts.

Aerosol Cans

Aerosol cans are also regarded as flammable and should always be stored in below room temperature areas, which should be around 65 degrees Fahrenheit. These cans use compressed gas as a propellant that’s highly flammable. During the usage of aerosol cans, always be wary if you are near potential spark sources, handles, or heaters.

In addition to that, carrying aerosol cans around can prove quite a risky business. These cans, regardless of their fullness, are sensitive and a puncture can cause injury to you or a loved one.

Nail polish remover

The nail polish remover is a basic makeup item used to remove previously applied nail lacquer. This ever present liquid found in nearly every single makeup bag carries a “flame” due to the main ingredient called “acetone”. 

The chances of causing nail polish remover-related fire are low, however, the chances significantly increase if the polish remover hasn’t dried out properly.

Hand sanitizer

Due to the pandemic, we all have hand sanitizer at the ready. The flammability of this liquid comes from the ingredient ethyl alcohol. The pure alcohol evaporates very quickly and its vapor is considered highly flammable. It’s always recommended that you use small amounts of hand sanitizer. Make sure you are nowhere near a potential hazard causer in the process of using hand sanitizer.

Cooking oil

It’s widely known that cooking oil is highly flammable. Always exercise caution when cooking with oil and never ever pour water over a hot and oily pan. The water will cause greater combustion that can potentially cause a burn or injure you.

Non-dairy creamer

Favorite of many, unhealthy for everyone. Besides being extremely unhealthy, non-dairy creamers are extremely flammable due to the ingredient sodium aluminosilicate that they carry. After each use, store it in a place where it’s chilly and out of children’s reach. 

Final thoughts

The house should be a place where we can consider ourselves completely safe. Our daily needs ask for items that can potentially pose a threat to our health and our best bet for keeping our precious safety is to ensure that everything is under control. 

Most house fires happen due to carelessness or not knowing the risk that the liquid possesses. Keep flammable liquids in proper containers and put your mind at ease. Moreover, check for potential sources of fire hazards in your home. Check your electrical wiring and keep tabs on the cleanliness of your chimney. Smoke detectors have been around for a long time now and could possibly spare your house a bunch of damages due to the quick notice they provide.

If you have spilled any of these above-mentioned liquids, be quick to open all of the windows in your home and let the place air out completely.



Life Advice

Photo of author


I work as a full time hair stylist but love writing about life. I hope to become a full time writer one day and spend all my time sharing my experience with you!

Leave a Comment