I’ve written quite a few articles over the years discussing alcoholic beverages, and almost all of them have focused on beer. You see, I love beer. On a hot summer’s day, there’s almost nothing better than a patio, and an ice cold glass of beer. But what I’ve started to realize is that, much like a parent plays favorites with their children, I’ve played favorites with beer, giving him all the attention, and completely ignoring his highly alcoholic, classier older brother.
What I’m talking about is my good friend wine. Quietly sitting in the background, just waiting for a person to grow up a bit and begin to appreciate his taste. He comes in many forms, most of which are delicious, and all of which make you look classy, like a French poet, or a ninja pirate.
Instead of continuing on with this highly dubious and slightly homo-erotic metaphor, I invite you to read through my top list of why wine is not only a fine alternative to beer, but an amazing drink in general.
So what makes wine so special?
- Wine makes you look like a classy gentleman. Much like cigarettes did before people realized that they’re disgusting and poisonous, wine comes with a certain built-in aura that the person drinking it is at least slightly refined. Simply speaking for myself, there’s probably nothing further than the truth, but who needs to know?
- It’s as flexible a beverage as beer, if not more so. The range of types and flavors is staggering, from Rieslings’ to Sparkling Wine. Many types for many occasions, and arguably with more bang for your buck.
- If you’re trying to save money, wine is your man. It’s generally dirt cheap, especially if you’re in the states, and even if you decide to offer an assortment of wine at your party, you can do so relatively inexpensively. Many places offer wine by the case, lowering the price even further.
- You can use it to seriously impress people if you’re willing to waste a bit of this precious substance. Ever heard of sabering? Well, if you have a bottle of sparkling wine handy, you too can look awesome with this simple party trick. Just make sure to do it before you start drinking.
- Perhaps most importantly of all, wine will get you drunk quickly, without the gut ache associated with drinking shot after shot of shooters, or the bloat that comes with drinking tons of beer. There’s nothing worse than feeling sick from bloat or too much sugar when you’re having a good time with your friends.
If that wasn’t enough to convince you, and you still feel that wine tastes like vinegar, and only snobs drink it, I urge you to have a look at our review of the See Ya Later Ranch. You’ll see that, man… these guys sure are having fun, and though you won’t be able to taste the wine, perhaps all this joyous drinking will encourage you to try a wine tasting tour. They’re a great way to try a lot of wines in short order, and figure out what you like best.
If you’ve got any suggestions on amazing wines for us to try, please leave a comment below and tell us all about it.