Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate is rumored to be a harmful chemical that is a part of many shampoos, toothpaste, soaps, etc. But is it really a carcinogen? Is it really that harmful or the rumors are just a myth?
I was facing some issue with my hair a few years ago. My hair was falling rapidly. This one time when I was washing my hair, a good bunch of hair came out in my hand. I was scared and could not figure out what was happening to me. Either there was something wrong with my body or very wrong with my hair products.
To resolve my issue, I scheduled a visit to a dermatologist. He carefully examined my head and ruled out the possibilities of any fungal infection on my head. Then he visited my list of hair products. It was narrowed down to a diagnosis that the reason behind my hair fall was the SLS component in my shampoo.
After studying carefully about the SLS components I figured out a few things because of which I stopped using the SLS shampoos.
1. It irritates skin and eye. SLS irritates tissues in your skin and causes dermatitis and dandruff on the scalp.
2. SLS is a major component causing the pollution of underground water and causes bioaccumulation.
3. SLS is a strong pesticide and is used in organic farming. SLS is a strong chemical for your scalp.
4. SLS shampoos are not recommended for hot showers as they emit toxic fumes when they are heated.
5. SLS shampoos permeate the brain, eyes, heart, liver, etc. The tissues in the body can face long-term permeation.
6. It is a major eye irritant. I have come out of the shower several times with my eyes bloodshot red and watery. It has been proved that these SLS shampoos cause cataracts in children and adults.
7. SLS is manufactured by other toxic solvents like nitrates that are carcinogenic in nature. The traces of the same remain in the product.
SLS may not be cancer causing but it can be very much harmful for your skin and hair. Once I was sure of the above points I made sure that I never use any of the SLS Shampoos.