The cute little white thing that you love to eat, called mushrooms, has more to it than just being food to us. Did you know that these mushrooms aren’t plants? In fact, recent research says that they are closely related to animals. It might be controversial however, there is no certain proof of mushrooms being an animal family and not a plant.
Mushrooms are basically fungus and are quite different than any plant or animal. They don’t contain chlorophyll and are considered to be microorganisms that live on the dead of decaying organic matter. It is usually a process of breaking down and eating dead plants, similar to how your composts pile works.
The umbrella shape that mushrooms take is actually known as the fruit of the body, and are made of a web of tiny filaments. These filaments are known as hyphae. Hyphae is mostly hidden in damp woods, soil or any other food source, and stay unseen till the fruit develops. Some of these are mushrooms, some truffles, brackets, puffballs etc.
You may be wondering about the survival of these mushrooms. To tell the truth, fungi don’t have stomachs and feed by absorbing nutrients from the base material. They need to digest the food before passing it through the cell wall into hyphae. It further breaks the surrounding material into easily absorbable molecules, with the help of acids that they secrete.
Are mushrooms nutritious?
Mushrooms are believed to be a great source of Vitamin B and provide a high-class vegetable protein. However, their fat and calorie content is pretty low and are generally considered of no food value. If you want to eat those dried mushrooms, you will be happy to know that they contain good amount of protein along with complex carbs known as polysaccharides.
Water is a basic necessity for mushrooms to grow, and since they have no skin, they tend to lose water way too easily. Therefore, if you buy a mushroom kit, you are sure to receive a humidity tent and a saucer. High humidity allows better and quick growth for the fruits. Also, you need to be mindful of the amount of water you are providing the fruit. Excess water can lead to drowning and suffocating the mushrooms with no oxygen, and your fruits can die soon. It is important to know the right amount of moisture and maintain it throughout the growth.