There are a lot of things that beat the joy that is brought from experiencing a sporting event, the vibrations of the crowd cheering in the stands, a front row seat to the live action and the ability to enjoy a game, match or race with family and friends. But, this feeling can be maximized by getting yourself personally involved in the competition by placing a bet, an activity that has come hand in hand with sports for as long as can be remembered.
If you are wanting to maximize your sporting experience with betting, there are a few things you may want to know in order to give you the best chances of being successful, it may be all about chance but that doesn’t mean that luck is the only tool at your disposal, here is some helpful information for sports betting.
Horse Race Betting
When it comes to betting, horse racing is one of the most popular sports that people bet on and has been that way for centuries, with many of the sports most popular events having been run annually for over 100 years. So, if you are heading to the tracks, here are a few terms that will come in hand to understand when it comes to putting down a bet, whether it be with the bookies or an online betting site like timeform.com.
- Win – one of the simplest bets you can place, this simply requires you to make one selection in a single race and if that horse wins, you will see a return based on the odds you were given at the time you placed the bet. This can be placed before or during the race.
- Place – another simple bet, requiring you to make a selection based on which horse you think will place in the race (finish first or second place), if this happens you will win.
- Show – much like a place bet, you make a single selection and if the horse is to finish first, second or third in the races then you will be a winner.
- On the Nose – this is a phrase used in the horse racing betting industry that means you are betting that a horse will win the race and if they do not then you will not win.
- In the Money – another phrase used in race betting that means a horse has finished either first, second or third.
Another wildly popular sport to bet in is football, which is not surprising given it is the world most beloved sport, with billions of fans from all over. Football betting, much like any other type, offers all different forms of bets and so here are some common terms that you may come across and if you are aware of them you can make more educated bets.
- Draw No Bet – this is a phrase that means a match has ended in a draw (neither team has won or lost) therefore wagers will be returned.
- Double Chance – this is a bet that allows you better chance of you bet being a winner as you can bet on your team winning or drawing the match, giving you more of a