Thanks to reality shows on mediums and ghost hunting, there’s a rise in individuals actually looking to buy a haunted house. Based on research in the United States, only 38% of the population absolutely would not buy a home that is haunted. Before the remaining 62% of you consider a haunted pad it’s important to understand the problems associated with haunted houses as well as how to deal with unwelcome visitors.
What Are the Signs of a Haunted House
There are common signs that your house is haunted. These include a feeling of being watched, sounds such as footsteps or music that can’t be accounted for, objects that move when you leave the room, and pets that seem to respond to something you can’t see. Factors that may be associated are cemeteries near the home, the presence of Indian burial grounds near the property, being the site of a murder, being a home that is over a hundred years old. A home which has changed hands rapidly (under two years) continuously is also a bad sign. Due to the history, many landmarks in London are considered haunted, for example. This is especially true if your house used to be an inn or pub.
Problems Associated with a Haunted House
A house that is actually haunted will not be a pleasant place to live. First of all, it’s not very easy to relax and enjoy a home if you feel constantly on edge. It might be neat for a week or two, but after a while the lack of sleep and bad dreams will wear you down. If you have children then double the anxiety levels for everyone involved. Another problem is the risk of physical harm. Those who have lived in a haunted home report bruises, cuts, and scratches that come from nowhere as well as illnesses that won’t go away.
Clearing a Home of Unwelcome Otherworldly Visitors
According to some experts, a haunted home can only be improved by positive energy. The ghost hunters that come into homes and stir up ghosts won’t do anything to remove them. Instead, look to religious leaders or mediums who have experience with ghosts. A medium will usually contact the spirit in some manner, find out what they need or want, and make the spirit or spirit leave. The methods each medium uses is unique to them. A medium may suggest a maintenance routine such as lighting sage inside the home once a week. Religious leaders, such as Catholic Priests or Jewish Rabbis, will have different tactics for dealing with spirits that usually involve ritual and prayer.
Other Causes of a Haunted House
Not every bump in the night is the result of ghosts. One very real cause of reported haunted houses is carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that will kill you if you inhale it long enough. The gas causes headaches, light-headedness, dizziness, and confusion. Another cause of haunted behaviors? Loose wiring. Faulty electrical wiring is a common culprit behind flickering light bulbs and finicky electronics. And finally, another cause could be you. Some believe that ghosts sometimes follow an individual or family as opposed to staying in one space. If you seem to constantly be in a haunted spot, then perhaps you are the cause.
When to Call it Quits
Some homes just cannot be fixed. Houses built on Native American burial grounds or near a battlefield are examples of this. The alleged negative energy associated with such places is usually too much for any one medium or clergyman to resolve. If you’ve had professionals out multiple times and had your home inspected for wiring or carbon monoxide and still experience issues then it’s probably time to move on. Fortunately, a haunted house is not the stigma that it once was and values tend to remain steady for a haunted home that is otherwise in good condition. Realtors can help with such cases. Talk to friends to see who they might suggest. Or find one in the area who can help, such as helettings.co.uk.
A haunted house is generally neither as dangerous as horror movies portray nor as boring as your skeptical friends might think. The reality is somewhere in between a nuisance and mildly dangerous and should be treated as such. It always pays to have your home inspected for things like loose wiring and carbon monoxide at the very least. For those who can handle the tension, a house that is haunted might not be so bad after all.